A: There are many reasons to consider taking dance lessons for your wedding. Here are just a few...
Your first dance will form the second strongest lifelong memory of your wedding day, for you and your guests! (Number 3 is the parent dances and we teach for those too!). Decades of personal and professional experience, including teaching thousands of wedding couples, has proven this. And, WeddingWire published a June 2018 article supporting it.
One already married couple who didn't take lessons for their wedding, said, "there's a hole in our hearts where our first dance should be."
One of our grooms said, "It let us be IN the moment rather than trying to just get THROUGH the moment." These words couldn't be more true.
MOST couples polled, over our 32 years as dance students, and 21 years as teachers, who skipped the lessons and just "hugged and rocked", never remembered their dance, or their song in the years to come. Even just a few dance lessons helps you form that special memory that SHOULD last forever.
It's great one-one-on-one time, relationship time. No work, no school, no wedding planning (even though your wedding WILL benefit). Just the two of you spending quality time together. Couples start it for their wedding but it becomes their weekly date night.
4. You have dressed up yourselves and your day. Shouldn't your dancing match?
5. You will spend the least amount of time and money on dance lessons and it will have a bigger impact than almost anything else you do for your wedding.
6. At the end of the day, you will have each other, your rings, AND your dancing. All else is temporary!
7. Social Media means EVERYTHING you do shows up on the web FOREVER!
8. None of our students have ever said, "We wish we had just hugged and rocked"
A: As soon as possible. Even "just the basics" takes time to learn. you should start as early as possible AND continue weekly until your wedding.
We will always do our best to help couples who are 2 to 4 weeks out and "Forgot to Take Dance Lessons". However, no one should decide, 6 months or a year in advance, to only take "a few lessons" once they are closer to the wedding. If you are thinking about it now, you should really start now, and talk to us about options.
1) A single 1 hour private lesson will ONLY get you started on the basic step of your dance and introduce you to leading and following.
2) We only add 1-2 moves per lesson hour, and fine tune technique, styling, and lead/follow as we go.
3) We have reduced about 100 hours of work down to 10. This means we can't fit bigger results into even smaller time periods because we've already done it. Fewer lessons means fewer moves and less prepared.
Are you picking your song first, or your dance first?
As we mentioned above, every song has a rhythm (beat) that determines the dance you need to learn. For instance, if you pick a song you love, and the rhythm is a Tango, you must learn Tango. But, if you pick a dance you really want to learn, then we can always help you find a song you will love, to go with it.
Picking the right song can be a challenge. You want something that speaks to you and represents you as a couple. But, you also need a song that has the right timing and tempo for dancing. We can help you find just the right song, and our consulting services are free with your lessons.
We do not.